Skip to main content.

Holidays and travel

Bendrigg Trust - Tel: 01539 723766 Email: Website: Outdoor activity centre for day activities or residential holidays for disabled people of all ages and abilities.

Calvert Trust - Website: Activity holidays for disabled people and their family and friends. Suitable for all ages, includes climbing, abseiling, water-sports, horse-riding, all under supervision of instructors. Three centres in England.

National Holiday Fund for Sick and Disabled Children - Tel: 01493 731 235 Email: Website: Offers opportunities for disabled children to go on group holidays to USA allowing parents and carers respite. Parents are not asked to contribute to the holidays.

National Rail - Enquiries: 08457 48 49 50 Email: Website: Find out about Disabled Persons Railcard and support available to make your journey easier.

Red Ridge Centre - Tel: 01938 810821 Website: Situated near the English/Welsh border, the centre offers residential courses with a wide range of activities to groups and individuals, regardless of ability.

Short Breaks Network - Tel: 01749 689259 Email: Website: Short breaks for children with disabilities and their families.

Ski 2 Freedom Foundation - Tel: 0844 855 2303/ 07980 691 372 Email: Website: The Ski 2 Freedom Foundation is a non-profit making organisation launched to help people with disabilities enjoy access to all winter sports, where previously they may have found it difficult or impossible to pursue their interests.

Tourism For All - Tel: 0845 124 9971 Email: Website: Information service on holidays and days out for people with disabilities.

Vitalise - Tel: 0303 303 0145 Email: Website: A national charity providing short breaks, respite care and holidays for disabled people and carers.

Travel Insurance

A range of travel insurance options are available which take into account pre-existing medical conditions. Here is a selection that our members have found:

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is for when you travel to another country in the European Economic Area(EEA) or Switzerland. It has replaced the E111 form, which is free (if you order by telephone) and should be renewed every five years. If you become ill while abroad, the EHIC gives access to state-provided medical treatment in the country you are visiting. This may be free or you may have to pay on the same basis as residents of that country. The card also covers any treatment you need for a chronic condition or pre-existing illness, and routine maternity care. The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance, since there are some things that it does not cover, such as repatriation. To apply for a card visit or call 0300 3301350.

Site by Frieze Web Design and